Liam and I have just got married, and moved into our first home together. This is something I have been craving all my life... to have my own place, with my own husband, my own things... and a home to share. On top of that, my wedding day was actually the last real day I spent in the home I grew up in. Mum and Dad are in the process of moving to Dunedin this week, so the house which has ALWAYS been home to me...is no longer ours. It is a time tinged with a little bit of sadness leaving behind all those memories, but a time filled with excitement thinking of the new memories that are going to be created elsewhere! My home now is the house we have just moved into, and even though there are still boxes EVERYWHERE... I am loving making it a place that is ours to share.
So, on that note... here are some very small awesome things about today which made me feel happy, and at home.
- Lolly jars - I love lollies. There, I said it. We did have three very full lolly jars...but after a few days of me working from home, my family coming round for dinner, and a husband who sneaks the jaffas (yep, white jaffas!)...they have depleted quite a bit.
- Beautiful flowers amongst the weeds in my garden.
- My new purple shoes. Ok, these don't exactly signify home. BUT... they are awesome, and I photographed them in this cute little corner of our backyard! I actually managed to smash a window all over the grass while I was at it. Idiot! Note to self: windows do not actually like it when you stand on them.
- Jarrah Chai Latte Caramel Sensations. Just discovered these yesterday - Mmmm. Our whole kitchen, dining room and lounge has been renovated... so making food and drink in my new kitchen is my latest fun thing. You should probably come around and visit for one of these...
- Arty Crafty Fun! And secrets.... so I can't share too much about this cute little kiddies thing! But home is a place for me to make things and be creative, and to do so with other people.
- Vintage Cameras - On the final clean out of our childhood house on Sunday, we came across these treasures...two very awesome vintage Kodak cameras... that belonged to my great-grandfather! How awesome are they?! Sooo excited about them!
- My new kitchen and my spice rack! We were suuuper spoiled at our wedding and got heaps of amazingly cool presents. This spice rack was one of them which I love... I couldn't wait to buy spices and fill it! I love cooking, and filling our new kitchen with incredibly amazing gifts from special people was the funnest thing ever. Especially because I know I can use these gifts to share with other people who come to visit.
- Liam came home from working as a physio, helped me with some photography work, and then went straight outside to work - mowing the lawns and doing some minor landscaping in our backyard. That, combined with the fact that the sun was still shining, was pretty awesome. I know he looks like he's just standing there posing, but he actually isn't. He's doing manly things.
- My final awesome thing for today is my Mum! It is her birthday today, and she is the best mother in the world. Sorry to break it to you! But she is. I love her with all my heart. With her, I feel at home. She is the one who taught me the importance of a home - not a fancy house filled with expensive "things", but a place filled with love, warmth, and hospitality. I hope my home can be half the home that my mother created for our family. This is her on my wedding day... she is beautiful inside and out. Happy Birthday Mum xoxoxo